About Chehalis CONTRA DAnCE CAmp
Our mission is to create a friendly dance camp that's fun for all. Come immerse yourself in music, dance, workshops and music jams in a natural setting. Our unique contra-focused camp is located in Canada’s beautiful Pacific Southwest 55 miles north of Bellingham, WA, and 100 km east of Vancouver, BC.
Sts'ailes Lhawathet Lalem (Chehalis Healing Retreat Centre) is situated in a scenic, wooded area alongside the Chehalis River, and consists of a main lodge building where meals, workshops, and dances will take place.
Main Lodge Rooms
Each sleeping room is dormitory style with men’s, women’s and co-ed rooms for up to 12 people and each contains its own bathroom facilities. Bring your own pillow, and sheets and a blanket, or a sleeping bag.
There is ample room to pitch tents in the camp's soccer field. RVs or campers can be parked in the gravel parking lot. Limited electrical plug-ins are available (bring an extension cord), but there is no water hookup or sani-station. Washrooms and showers for RVers and tenters are available in the main lodge.
Sasquatch Crossing Eco Lodge B & B - New Option This Year!
Stay at this heritage bed and breakfast just 5 minutes from the camp. Only 9 rooms are available, so book early. Room prices range from $125 to $70 + HST per night, double occupancy, and include full breakfast. Please book directly with the Sasquatch Crossing Eco Lodge, and mention you are with the Chehalis Contra Dance group. Take a virtual tour of the lodge.
A variety of healthy food options will be provided. If you have special dietary needs (vegetarian, lactose or gluten intolerance, food allergies) please indicate those on your registration form. An effort will be made to accommodate special diets, however if your diet is very restricted, you are expected to supplement the provided meals with your own food as needed.
Friday dinner is not provided. There will be light snacks available during the evening, but you are expected to eat dinner before arriving at camp. Both Abbotsford and Mission offer a variety of restaurants. Closer to camp, the Sasquatch Inn at the turnoff from Hwy. #7 to Morris Valley Road offers pub food, while the River's Edge Restaurant at 14282 Morris Valley Road (on the Sandpiper golf course) offers more upscale fare in a riverside setting. Reservations are recommended at River's Edge to ensure adequate staffing.
The camp provides breakfast, lunch and dinner on Saturday and breakfast and lunch on Sunday. Free coffee, tea and juice are always available.
- Song books (e.g., Rise Up Singing!)
- Musical instruments
- Recording device for workshops
- Ear plugs
- Pillow; blankets and sheets (or sleeping bag)
- Slippers (shoes must be removed at the door)
- Water bottle, coffee mug
- Dance shoes (permitted only on dance floor)
- Walking shoes (for trails along the river)
- Passport for those crossing the border
- Goodies for the snack room
- Quilts to hang in the dance hall
- Cash for CDs and other merchandise
- Flashlight (to avoid disturbing sleeping roommates, and for camping)
- Extension cord if camping in RV or camper and you need power
- Umbrella or rain gear, and a tarp if camping
The facility has a recovery centre nearby, and absolutely NO alcohol or illegal drugs are allowed. If you are found with alcohol or drugs in your possession anywhere at camp, you will be told to leave immediately. There will be NO REFUND and NO EXCEPTIONS.
For the benefit of allergen sensitive dancers, please avoid the use of scented products. Scent-free liquid soap will be available in the washrooms.
Due to fire regulations, candles are prohibited. Smoking is only allowed outside.
No pets are allowed.
Drop-ins (day visitors) are not allowed.
The camp is on a river in a wooded area. Young children must be closely supervised by an adult at all times.
As public transit is not an option to get to this site, some dancers may require a ride.
If you need or can provide a ride to the camp, please indicate this on your application. You will receive a current copy of the ride share list with your confirmation email. Updated copies are available by email request to Cindy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please park in designated areas along the road in front of the main lodge or in the gravel parking lot. In the gravel lot, please leave the parking spots close to the power poles free for those camping with RVs or campers.
Please do not park in the staff parking to the right of the lodge, in front of the main lodge doors, or on the soccer field past the marked area—watch for signs and traffic cones marking no parking areas.
16300 Morris Valley Rd., Agassiz, BC, V0M 1A1
See a map. Watch for red direction signs when you get closer to camp.
- Either take Hwy #1 to Abbotsford (Mission/Sumas Exit #92) or take Lougheed Hwy #7 (follow signs for Maple Ridge/Mission).
- At Mission travel east on Hwy #7 about 32 km. Turn left at Morris Valley Road (you will see a sign for Hemlock Valley Recreation area, and the Sasquatch Inn Cafe at the turn).
- Travel along Morris Valley Rd. for 7km.
- Turn right immediately after the single lane bridge over the Chehalis River. Go through the stone gates to the Sts'ailes Lhawathet Lalem Healing House.
From Seattle or Bellingham and Points South:
- Head north on I-5.
- In Bellingham, at exit #255, take Hwy 542 (E Sunset Drive, Mt Baker Hwy), heading north-east.
- Just past the Nooksack River, take Hwy 9 north to Sumas border crossing.
- Follow Hwy #11 north to Mission.
- At Mission travel east on Hwy #7 about 20 miles.
- Turn left at Morris Valley Road (you will see a sign for Hemlock Valley Recreation area, and the Sasquatch Inn Cafe at the turn).
- Travel along Morris Valley Rd. for about 4.5 miles.
- Turn right immediately after the single lane bridge over the Chehalis River.
- Go through the stone gates to the Sts'ailes Lhawathet Lalem Healing House.