What do we do?
- We hold meetings every other month featuring talks on different aspects of paleontology. Members bring in fossils for discussion, identification, and share field trip information.
- We organize fossil field trips from March to October. These range from local day trips to weekend trips. We find fossils on every trip! Once a year, we plan a week long trip to reach fossils further afield. Past trips have taken us deep into the Interior, over to Vancouver Island or down to Washington State, and even further away. Younger members, accompanied by a responsible adult, are welcome on our field trips. Pets are not allowed.
- We promote safe and responsible fossil collecting.
- We maintain a growing fossil collection for display and educational purposes and offer one-day workshops at local community centres.
- We contribute to the B.C. Paleontological Alliance (BCPA) newsletter, a publication dedicated to paleontology and which includes a calendar of upcoming events, meetings and field trips for all of the regional societies.
What are the goals of the VanPS?
- To promote public awareness of our fossil heritage.
- To promote safe and responsible fossil collecting.
- To provide educational information about ancient life through field trips, presentations and displays.
- To bring together amateurs and professionals who share a common interest in fossils.
How do I join?
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in fossils. Our meetings are free and open to the public. Current annual dues are Can$30 for individuals and families. A membership entitles you and your family to receive the BCPA Newsletter and to attend all VanPS field trips. Please make cheques payable to the Vancouver Paleontological Society. At the end of each meeting a member of the executive is always available to answer questions & collect dues.
When and where are the meetings?
- Date: 3rd Wednesday of odd months (unless otherwise mentioned) - see our Calendar page
- Time: 7:00 pm
- Where: Kitsilano Library - 2425 MacDonald Street, Vancouver
- The meetings are free and are open to the public. Members of the executive are available after the lecture to answer your questions.
Perry Poon, VanPS Chair - firstname.lastname@example.org
VanPS Mailing Address:
12-8171 Steveston Highway
Richmond BC V7A 1M4
Chair: Perry Poon
Vice-chair: Dr. Kirstin Brink
Treasurer: Marianne Wong
Secretary: Lorice Martens
Webmaster: Sahar Pakzad
The Vancouver Paleontological Society is a member of the British Columbia Paleontological Alliance (BCPA). The BCPA is a broadly-based umbrella organization of professional and amateur paleontologists belonging to regional societies on the west coast of Canada. The Alliance strives to enhance knowledge about paleontology in the Cordillera and to promote the responsible collection of fossils.
The BCPA also attempts to open lines of communication among universities, museums, government agencies and individuals concerned with fossils throughout British Columbia. The Alliance is particularly interested in fostering interactions among all amateur and professional paleontologists.
For information about the BCPA, please visit www.bcfossils.ca