The Old Hastings Mill Store Museum is owned and operated by the Native Daughters of British Columbia, Post No.1 - a non-profit, historical society.
The oldest building in Vancouver, the Old Hasting Mill Store Museum first served as a company store for Hastings Sawmill and it's community (on the south side of Burrard Inlet at the foot of Dunlevy Street), from 1867-1927. After surviving the Great Fire of June 13th, 1886, the Hastings Mill Store Museum was saved from demolition by the Native Daughters and barged to its present location at the foot of Alma Road near Jericho Beach in July, 1930.† Restored, refurbished and opened as a building January 10, 1931 by Lieutenant Governor Randolph Bruce, the building was officially dedicated as a museum one year later by Premier Simon F. Tolmie.
Filled with artifacts of Vancouverís history, the Museum provides a delightful look at Vancouverís past. The Museum is admission-free, although donations are gladly accepted and will be used to maintain the building and museum.
The Old Hastings Mill Store Museum (at 1575 Alma Road, Vancouver) is open to the public:
In summer (June 15-September 15) on every day but Monday from 1-4 pm.
In winter on weekends only from 1-4 pm (closed December & January.)
The Museum phone number is 604-734-1212.
The Native Daughters of BC unites women born in BC who are interested in preserving BCís history and in perpetuating the memory of those pioneers who took part in the early development of BC. Contact us at:
Native Daughters of British Columbia Post #1
1575 Alma Road, Vancouver, BC† V6R 3P3
Tel: 604-876-9764†††††† Fax: 604-876-9779